Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Jamaica Maun

I was blessed to travel to Jamaica last Thursday. I was on the south side of the island, the real Jamaica I was told (no beaches/tourist attractions). I was invited primarily to speak at the commencement exercises of Bethel Bible College on Friday. On Saturday I attended a work-session in Kingston of educatinal leaders for the Church of God. These were leaders of church programs, officials in public education and leaders of private schools. They are forming a denominational association of educators with a view toward developing a comprehensive approach to church and public education. It is exciting to think of the possibilities, something that seems far beyond possibility in the States. I also spoke at a Church of God in Mandeville on Sunday.

It was a great honor to be asked to speak. The president of Bethel is Dr. Barrington Brown. Barrington is one of our most outstanding graduates in discipleship studies. He returned to do the Doctor of Ministry degree. I was somewhat concerned because this is not my typical speaking format -- I'm a Pentecostal, expository preacher. I have attended dozens of graduations and only remember two addresses well, one for how good it was and the other for how bad it was. I decided to hope and pray that I would simply be inspiringly forgetable. Time will tell.

Barrington Brown, a COGTS graduate and current president of Bethel Bible College



James Small, a COGTS grad and current Dean at Bethel



Bethel Bible College Administrative Building



New Testament Church of God, Mandeville, Jamaica

No comments: