Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Assembly News

I am seldom thrilled at the General Assembly. I have been this year. The General Council of Ordained Bishops has acted historically. For the first time ever the Council has nominated an African American (Wallace Sibley) to serve on the Executive Committee of the denomination. Also, for the first time the Council has nominated an Hispanic (Victor Pegan) to serve in a top position (Assistant Director of World Missions).

What few people know is that since I became member of the General Council in 1984 I have practiced a personal policy of voting almost exclusively for minorities and internationals on every ballot where I could. Typically, this meant I would vote for them on the first two ballots after which the body would vote to limit the list to the top names.

No comments: