Thursday, June 10, 2010

Short Visit with Camdyn & Charlie

On my way up to New York I spent one evening with Alethea, Justin, Camdyn, and Charlie.  I gained a couple of words of wisdom.

When I first arrived I met the family at a restaurant where Camdyn's soccer team was having their year end celebration (Justin was the Assistant Coach).  I picked Charlie up in my left arm and Camdyn in my right arm for hugs and carried them into the restaurant.  As we were walking in I commented, "My, you kids are getting big."

Camdyn replied "I know I am, Papa."

"How do you know that," I asked.

"Because your arm is really shaking, Papa," came her response.  I'll just blame my fragility on the virus Cheryl brought back from Sweden.  I'm getting a lot of milage out of that virus.

Yesterday morning I played trains with Charlie and Camdyn.  Each engine has a name and therefore a gender.  Camdyn loves to organize them according to gender and size.  She lined all of the female engines up from smallest to largest.  If my bones were not aching so much sitting on the floor I might of had the presence of mind to explore her thought processes.  Charlie was not at all interested in his sister's ability to sequence and catagorize.  He just knew she was taking his cars off his track.

After Camdyn went to school Charlie and I went to his room to play with blocks, again on the floor.

At one point during the visit Charlie said something about Johnny Cash.  He informed me he had never seen the Man in Black and wanted to know if I had.  He wants to visit the bat caves at Nickajack Lake where "Johnny Cash died."  Somehow he has reached that conclusion from a Cash video he watches.  In the conversation he instructed me, "If you want to see Johnny Cash you will have to go to heaven.  That's where he sings now."

My thoughts went to a comment I heard Cash's son make about him, "my Dad was the most Godly of great sinners who ever lived."  I hope I hear him sing in person someday, unless he went down to that other "burning ring of fire."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where are the pictures?
Shirley