Saturday, November 29, 2008

When I Was Young We Went To Church Often

(Another Story for Charlie and Camdyn)

When I was young we went to church often. We went two times on Sunday. On Sunday morning we went to Sunday school at 9:45 A.M. and stayed for morning worship at 11:00 A.M. Worship usually ended between 12:30 and 1:00 P.M. The Sunday evening “Evangelistic” service began at 7:00 P.M. and never ended before 9:00 P.M. Wednesday evening was the Mid-week Prayer Meeting from 7 to 9, and Friday night was the Young People’s Endeavor (YPE) service at 7:00 P.M.

I liked going to church. I especially liked Y.P.E. The youth were in charge of those services. They seemed old to me, but they were mostly teenagers. They sang, read poems, and performed skits. It was different. The adults mostly watched except they helped with the singing. Each week after church the Ladies Willing Worker Band (LWWB) sold refreshments in the Fellowship Hall to raise money for special projects. Everyone seemed to enjoy this time together. There was a lot of talking and laughing while we ate cake or pie and drank soft drinks.

Sunday and Wednesday evenings were special, too. Many people came early to pray and to share fellowship. Before church began many adults moved around the sanctuary shaking hands, hugging necks, and kissing each other in a way that made everyone feel welcomed. It was kind of like going to a big family reunion several times a week. In fact, all of the adults were called Brother or Sister: “Brother Newman”, “Sister Newman”, etc.

Momma made Shirley and me sit down and be still. She sat with us to insure we did not wonder off. Jimmy was older and he got to talk with his friends before church started. I carefully watched the adults move around the sanctuary shaking everybody’s hand, and greeting them with a smile. I waited with excitement to see if they would shake my hand. Some would, but others would skip Shirley and me talking only to my mother.

Brother Murray would always shake my hand with a firm, gentle jerk and say, “Good evening young man; I’m happy to see you tonight.” During winter Brother Murray came to our house to deliver fuel oil. He drove a truck with a big tank. At our house he pulled a long hose out of the back of the truck and attached to the fuel drum behind our house.

Several times a year we had a “Revival.” A special preacher would come. He or she was called an “Evangelist.” During revivals we had church every night of the week and the services were longer than usual. Revivals lasted for two weeks or longer. Evangelists seemed to preach longer and louder than our pastor, and people prayed much longer after the sermon. I often went to sleep before church was over.

When I was young I spent a lot of time in church.

No comments: