Saturday, March 13, 2010

Trip to South Carolina

Yesterday I went to South Carolina to see Cheryl's mom.  I had lunch with Josh and Bethany.  For more on that visit see my other blog.  Because Highway 64 is closed due to  major rock slide I had to take a suthern route: Chattsworth, Elijay, Dawsonville, Gainseville, I-85.  It is a lovely drive through the southern foothills of Appalachia exept there was a heavy fog going and thunderstorms coming.  I have driven by this church near Dawsonville several times but never noticed it is a Church of God.  The sign out front just says "New Life."  On the return trip I noticed the Church of God logo above the door and the American flag beside it.  I turned around to take some pictures.  I am always troubled to see a national flag flown at a church. In Christ we have only one banner and it is the banner of His Kingdom.  Flying the national flag at a church blurs the distinction between the sovereignty of Christ and the sovereignty of the nation. Ultimately this blinds us to the sinful patterns of our society. I think everyone should be patriotic, just not at church.  The interesting aspect of this picture is that the Church of God logo with the cross at the center is higher than the flag.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.